Qualifications and Experience
All our experienced Maternity Nurses have come from a solid nanny or nursing/midwifery background before having decided to specialise in maternity nursing. In addition to this, we require a minimum of 5 years’ new-born experience, to include at least 5 bookings in private households, before we will proceed with their application to join The Maternally Yours Register.
We also place Junior Maternity Nurses, who will have 1-2 years experience and at least 5-10 years working in childcare prior to this. They charge a lower fee, however, we would only place them with an experienced mother who is looking for support and an 'extra pair of hands'. If this is of interest to you, please discuss this with your Consultant, who will advise if this will be suitable for your family.
We personally interview all applicants at our Kensington office and those who successfully pass our stringent criteria and background checks are placed on The Maternally Yours Register. We reject approximately 60% of applicants. The successful applicants are subject to on-going reference and suitability checks, which include having to provide an up-to-date DBS Certificate (Disclosure Barring Service) and notifying us of any changes to their health.
Listed below are childcare qualifications that are recognised and appropriate to the profession:
- MNT/OCN - Maternity Nanny Training Certificate
- BabyEm Levels 1 to 5
- Level 3 (formerly NNEB which was a full time 2 year Diploma)
- NEST Postnatal Carer Certificate (PNC) / non-medical maternity nursing
- NAMCW - National Association of Maternal and Child Welfare
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Maternity and Paediatric Support
- City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Maternity Nursing and Paediatric Support
- HATA Academy - Home Affairs Training Academy
- Midwifery and Nursing Degrees/Diplomas
- CACHE Level 3 - Council for Awards in Healthcare and Education (previously known as the NNEB)
- BTEC Nursery Nursing (Business and Technology Education Council
To make sure our Maternity Nurses continue to offer the superior service that you and your baby deserve, we advise them to keep up-to-date with current research and advice.
NEST, BabyEm and MNT are all excellent courses to obtain entry into the Maternity Nurse profession and can even be helpful for the more established nurses and nannies to keep them up to date. They also keep up to date by attending breast-feeding, colic/reflux and any other relevant workshops, and also by renewing their First Aid Certificates every 3 years
The BabyEm Level 5 Diploma is offered solely to already practising experienced Maternity Nurses.
At Maternally Yours we contact the relevant awarding bodies to ensure authenticity and validity of all certificates, where possible. And while qualifications are highly regarded, there are many Maternity Nurses who do not hold any formal certificates but have years of experience within childcare and are excellent at caring for new born babies.