The Maternally Yours Register
We place both experienced and junior Maternity Nurses with our Clients.
Experienced Maternity Nurses range from ladies with 5 to 10 years' solid maternity nurse work experience to those with 20 to 30 years' experience with either the MNT or BabyEm qualification. They will be placed with all types of clients ranging from first time nervous mothers to those expecting multiples. They have come from a solid nanny or nursing/midwifery background before deciding to specialise in maternity nursing.
They will confidently walk into a booking and be able to recognise and know how to care for a mother with post-natal depression, a baby with tongue tie or colic, and will discreetly fit into any household. Having said that, many bookings do not present difficult issues such as these and will go very smoothly.
Junior Maternity Nurses are those who have 5-10 years childcare experience to include 5 years working with new born babies in the capacity of nanny or maternity nanny. They have subsequently completed the Maternity Nurse Training (MNT) or BabyEm Level 3 & 4 Training and been placed with 4-5 clients to pass their Certificate. They will hold references to support their placements. Our Junior Maternity Nurses will work with second and third time mothers who need an 'extra pair of experienced hands' and, we always take up references at the end of each booking to monitor on-going suitability.
Criteria for Joining
We personally interview all applicants and those who successfully pass our criteria and background checks are placed on The Maternally Yours Register. We reject approximately 60% of applicants due to lack of experience, but do direct them to the right training courses to help kick start their career.
The successful candidates are subject to on-going reference and suitability checks which includes having to provide an up-to-date DBS Certificate (Disclosure Barring Service) and notifying us of any changes to their health.
For us to consider an application to The Maternally Yours Register the applicant must:
- Be an experienced Maternity Nurse, Midwife, Registered Nurse with at least 5 years new born experience
- Have at least 5 years of maternity nursing experience in private households
- Be able to provide checkable certificates and written references to verify education and experience
- Be able to provide certificates to demonstrate attendance of the relevant courses listed below
- Be eligible to work in the UK and/or overseas
- Wish to work with an Agency who cares and works hard for their maternity nurses
- Be available and commit to at least one year of bookings
- Possess an up-to-date cleared DBS, First Aid and Professional Indemnity Insurance (see Useful Links)
Listed below are childcare qualifications that are recognised and appropriate to the profession:
- MNT/OCN - Maternity Nanny Training Certificate
- BabyEm Levels 1 to 4
- BabyEm Level 5 Diploma (offered solely to already practising experienced maternity nurses)
- Cache Level 3 (formerly NNEB which was a full time 2 year Diploma)
- NEST Postnatal Carer Certificate (PNC) / non-medical maternity nursing
- NAMCW - National Association of Maternal and Child Welfare
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Maternity and Paediatric Support
- City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Maternity Nursing and Paediatric Support
- HATA Academy - Home Affairs Training Academy
- Midwifery and Nursing Degrees/Diplomas
- CACHE Level 3 - Council for Awards in Healthcare and Education (previously known as the NNEB)
- BTEC Nursery Nursing (Business and Technology Education Council
NEST, BabyEm and MNT courses will provide current advice and recommended practice to the more experienced maternity nurses and nannies, whereas they are a must for Junior Maternity Nurses or those wishing to obtain entry into the Maternity Nurse profession. There are also affiliated courses such as those offering Postnatal Depression, Multiple Births and Paediatric First Aid for keeping abreast of current practice.
At Maternally Yours we contact the relevant awarding bodies to ensure authenticity and validity of all certificates where possible. And while qualifications are highly regarded, there are many Maternity Nurses who do not hold any formal certificates but have years of experience within childcare and are excellent at caring for new born babies.
To make sure our Maternity Nurses continue to offer the superior service that our clients deserve, we advise all our applicants to keep themselves up-to-date with current research and advice by attending breast-feeding, colic and reflux, and other relevant workshops, as well as by regularly renewing their First Aid Certificates.
If you feel you meet all the criteria above then we would love to hear from you.